Friday, February 11, 2011

Sweet Corn and Chicken Soup

I have so much to say about this recipe that I don’t even know where to start! While watching a popular food channel last weekend, I felt inspired to try this recipe, of course putting my own spin on it as I just can't follow a recipe without making it my own. This recipe is inspired by Aarti's Party....
 This original recipe called for using 2 split bone-in skinless chicken breasts, I happen to have leftover roasted chicken from a previous nights dinner, so I decided to use the leftover chicken meat, shredded in this recipe, and substitute some of the liquid with chicken stock that I had in my freezer.

shredded-roasted-chickenShredded Chicken, so yummy....




4 cups water
4 cups chicken stock
1 tbs. vegetable oil
1 leek, green parts too if you have ‘em, sliced in half and thoroughly washed, then sliced thinly
1 carrot, peeled and chopped 1/2 inch chunks
1″ piece of fresh ginger left whole, plus additional 3″ piece, minced
2 dried bay leaves (optional)
1 tsp. ground coriander
2 cups cooked and shredded chicken, I used leftover roasted chicken, skin removed
3 14oz cans creamed corn, I like Green Giant Brand
1-2 GF chicken bouillon cubes
1 tsp sesame oil
4 spring onions, chopped finely, white and green parts (reserve some green for final garnish)
4 tbsp cornstarch
4 tbsp water
2 egg whites
1/2 tsp rice vinegar
GF Tamari/Soy sauce to taste
First off, this is one recipe that intimidated me. Not sure why I guess the complex flavors. This one is very easy. Really. You cannot screw this up. And it’s really cheap to make. Nothing fancy here.
This recipe is a cross between Indian Cuisine and Chinese Cuisine. Both of which fascinate me and encourage me to try new recipes.
Anyway, Have you ever ha an order of the sweetcorn and chicken soup or egg flower soup at your favorite Chinese restaurant. Well, I have on several occasions and I have to say that this soup, leaves your mouth watering for more. It is the perfect combination of flavors.
This recipe will become a regular around here, as soon as one of us gets the sniffles. My chicken soup might be good, but *this* one tastes way better. In addition to chicken soup’s inherent "Jewish Penicillin", the hefty amounts of fresh ginger not only open up your nasal passages and soothe your throat, it also soothes your tummy. Add corn, with its soft, enveloping flavor and, combined with soup’s inherent warm-you-to-the-core properties, this soup leaves you feeling hugged, inside and out.
This is my new favorite soup in the world, hands down. I hope you try it.






You’ll need this stuff:


1)  Heat vegetable oil in a big stock pot, , add in the leek, carrot, 1″ hunk of ginger, 1 tsp. ground coriander and bay leaves. Stir and saute for about 2-3 minutes over medium high heat.  Pour the chicken broth and water into stock pot and bring to a boil over high heat. 
2) Add the shredded chicken. Allow the whole lot to come back to a boil, then turn it down and simmer, covered, for 30 minutes
3) Remove the chunk of ginger and the 2 bay leaves. You don't want to leave any surprises in there.
4) Return the stock to medium heat. Add creamed corn, crumbled stock cubes (I used two), 3″ hunk of minced or grated ginger, spring onions and sesame oil. Allow to simmer.
Extra Virgin Sesame Oil is


5) Return the soup to high heat. Bring the soup to a boil. In a small bowl or measuring cup, mix the corn starch with the cold water, until dissolved. Add to the soup while stirring. Allow to boil until it’s thickened.
6) In another small bowl, beat the egg whites with a little water. Stir the soup in circles as you add the egg whites in a steady stream; it should form pretty white wisps on the surface of the soup. I was really nervous about this step, but much to my surprise it would out amazingly well.
7) Add the rice wine vinegar. Heat gently through. Taste for seasoning.


Serve, with a splash of soy sauce and some of the reserved green portion of the spring onions in the middle. Sniffles be gone.

standard - sweet corn soup

No comments:

Post a Comment