Monday, February 28, 2011

Cream of "Your Hearts Desire" Soup



We eat casseroles fairly often during cold weather. When I was first diagnosed, I didn’t know how to replace the cream soups that most of my casseroles called for. Before being diagnosed Gluten Intolerant my go to for casseroles was Campbell's Cream of Soups, Whether it was Cream of Chicken, Celery, Mushroom, Leek, I went to the little red and white can. Not that it was such a healthy turn to but it was convenient. Now making my own Cream of soups, I love knowing exactly what we are eating and the recipe is so versatile, you can take the base recipe and run with it. I was thrilled when I came up with this recipe.

1 c. cold milk (or milk substitute)
3 Tb. sweet rice flour or rice flour, or 2 Tb. cornstarch
2 Tb. butter, margarine, or olive oil
1 tsp. GF chicken bouillon or other flavoring
1/2 tsp. salt
white pepper to taste

I have always used sweet rice flour in this recipe, but if you don’t have any on hand, cornstarch will work.

In a small sauce pan over medium high heat, melt butter, margarine or olive oil, Once melted, add the rice flour or corn starch, whisking continuously. Continue to whisk for about 1 minute.  Slowly add the milk, stirring constantly and heat to a boil while whisking.  Add the remaining of your ingredients. Reduce heat and simmer about a minute until thickened.

This recipe can be used to substitute for one can of creamed soup.

This recipe is flexible. You can add ingredients such as chicken, chopped mushrooms, chopped celery, chopped leeks, or cheese for the kind of cream soup you want.

No comments:

Post a Comment