I pack up the car, with a picnic lunch, a blanket and Jackson. Our destination is Doran State Park, located in Bodega Bay California, followed by a short drive to Spud Point for the crab and the Bodega Heads, hoping to catch the glimpse of a migrating whale. Besides being an unseasonably warm winter day and loving the sound of crashing waves, the real reason for this trip to get some fresh crab, to satisfy my craving for crab cakes. I have not had a crab cake since starting my Gluten Free journey and knew that I used to make a mean gluten packed crab cake so why not make one Gluten Free. I can do this and I don't want crab from the store or from a can, I want fresh local, warm crab, since it is available and so close to home.
Doran Beach, Bodega Bay, California
My dog, Jackson. He's just as excited about this sunshine, as I am.
Beautiful Sunny Mid-January Day
My lunch, Red Quinoa Greek Salad
What a perfect day, Now that I have soaked in some sunshine, let's walk the beach and check out the fishing enthusiasts and some facts about Bodega Bay..
What's in the cooler? Crab?
Crabbers and those trying to fish off the rocks.
A few bit more experienced fishermen.... What will they catch?
A few facts.....Back to the car and head North on Hwy 1, towards the Bodega Head and Spud Point Crab Company
Fresh Dungeness Crab, Still warm
A crab cage....
I got my 2 fresh, warm and local crabs. Now to get home and clean, crack and pick out all the succulent meat. A messy but fun part of the crab experience. Just make sure that the take the garbage out afterwards. They can be stinky.....
Cleaning and picking the bodies first, then tacking the legs and claws
It's a messy, but so worth it job...
The sweet Crab meat
Remember the mallet
Let the creation begin, egg, mayonnaise, homemade Udi's bread crumbs, rice flour, dill,
lemon juice, scallions, pepper, salt, hot sauce
The first batch, fried in canola oil
The last batch, almost done
OK, Are you ready for the recipe?
Gluten Free Crab Cakes
- Crab meat, from 2, 2/12lb Dungeness Crabs, Yields approx. 20-24 oz. crab meat, picked through thoroughly, be careful not to get any shell.
- 2, toasted slices of Udi's Whole grain Gluten Free Bread, chopped fine, for about 1/2 cup fresh bread crumbs, or 1/2 cup Gluten free bread crumbs of your choice.
- 1 tbs. rice flour
- 1 lemon cut into 4 wedges
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1 scallion, chopped
- 1/4 cup of all-natural mayonnaise (make sure it's GF)
- 1/4 canola oil (any vegetable oil will work)
- 1 tsp. dried dill or 1 Tbs. fresh chopped dill
- 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1 dash hot sauce, such as Tabasco
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Lightly mix the breadcrumbs, scallions, dill, cayenne, Tabasco, egg, mayonnaise, rice flour and 1 wedge of fresh squeezed lemon juice and crab meat together in a bowl until seasonings are well distributed.
- Separate the mixture into even-size portions and flatten/shape into about a 3" patty. Cover and chill for about 30 minutes in the fridge until they are firm. They're easier to cook when chilled.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan over medium heat and cook on each side until lightly browned (no more than 10 minutes).
- Serve with lemon wedges and your favorite tartar sauce or aoili