Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Chili Taco Tuesday

Slow Cooker

Turkey Butternut Squash Chili


Yes, I know not your traditional tacos, but I will roll with it. Why not chili in taco shells. Sounds great to me. I have seen chili in burritos and even spaghetti in Tacos, so chili has it all, beans, meat, salsa, tomatoes. I am adding a Mexican twist to this chili, maybe it will make me feel more like a taco. Wait a minute, how can I be a taco?  The Mexican twist comes from the use of refried beans, salsa, and a little lime juice.  If you like chili and Mexican flavors, you’re sure to like this too. Another secret to my chili is the addition of butternut squash. It add a sweet, mellow creaminess, that you will love. Plus my kids will eat it, so it's a hidden vegetable bonus....
In my family chili is a stew that is enjoyed year round.  Most soups and stews we like to reserve for cold weather, but chili seems to be just as popular and tasty in summer as it is in winter.  I think we will enjoy this variation year round also.

Remember to always read labels and make sure the ingredients you are using are gluten free.


  • 2 lbs. ground meat (I used lean ground turkey)
  • 1 medium red onion, chopped
  • 1 small butternut squash, peeled, seeded and diced
  • 16 oz. thick and chunky salsa, choose mild, medium or hot
  • 1 can small red beans or chili beans
  • 1 can refried beans
  • 3/4 c. broth (I used Herb Ox bouillon vegetable flavor labeled gluten free and no added MSG)
  • 3 tsp. dried ground cumin
  • 2 1/2 Tb. chili powder
  • 2 Tb. lime juice
  • Tortilla chips

Cook and drain the ground meat.  While the meat is cooking, chop the onion and prepare the butternut squash and drain and rinse the small red beans.
Combine all ingredients except the lime juice in a large slow cooker.  Cook on low about 4 – 6 hours.  Stir in the lime juice.  Serve with hard taco shells or soft corn tortillas. Add your favorite garnishes, shredded cheese, chopped onion, chopped tomato, avocado, sour cream, jalapenos....
A nice green salad or cole slaw goes great on the side.

No comments:

Post a Comment