Baked Barbecue Corned Beef Brisket
Corned beef is cured in a salt mixture, so it can be very salty, depending on the source. If the salt in your corned beef is an issue for you (some people like foods less salty than others) you might try bringing the corned beef to a boil in plain water first, discarding the water, and bringing it to a boil in plain water again, and again discarding the water, before proceeding.
Corned Beef (baked)
1 Preheat oven to 350°F. Drain the corned beef from the package. Make a small package with the cheese cloth and spice packet, removed from plastic. Place spices in cloth on a large piece of heavy duty, wide, aluminum foil (you may have to get creative with the way you wrap the beef if your foil isn't wide enough), Lay corned beef, fat side up, on top of spice sachet in foil. Spread barbecue sauce all over the brisket, top, bottom and sides. Sprinkle brown sugar over the top.
- 3 lbs corned beef (in package)
- cheese cloth
- spice packet
- 1/2 cup GF Barbecue Sauce, I like Sweet Baby Rays
- 2 Tbsp brown sugar
2 Wrap the corned beef with foil in a way that allows for a little space on top between the corned beef and the foil, and creates a container to catch the juices. Place foil-wrapped corned beef in a shallow roasting pan and bake for 3 hours.
3 Open the foil wrapping, spread a little more barbecue sauce over the top of the corned beef, and broil it for 2-3 minutes, until the top is bubbly and lightly browned. Let rest for 5 to 10 minutes, then place on cutting board and cut at a diagonal, across the grain of the meat, into 1/2-inch thick slices.
Baked Colcannon Recipe
- Place the potatoes into a large pot and cover with salted water. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until tender, about 20 minutes. Drain and allow to steam dry for a minute or two. Season the potatoes with salt, and mash with 4 tablespoons of butter, sour cream, egg, and milk.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F Grease a 2-quart casserole.
- Heat 1 teaspoon butter in a skillet over medium heat, and cook and stir the cabbage, leeks, and onion until the cabbage is tender and the onion is translucent, about 10 minutes. Season the cabbage mixture with salt and pepper, and stir to blend. Fold the cabbage mixture into the potato mixture until thoroughly mixed, and spoon into the prepared casserole.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 40 minutes; top with Cheddar cheese, and return to oven until the cheese melts, about 10 minutes.